Wednesday 11 February 2009

Yotel, Schiphol




During the recent armageddon that was the snowy weekend in London, being trapped airside at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam I checked out the Yotel… I’ve seen the concept before at 100% design which is great; a bit more than a capsule hotel but not quite a full room. I had a single which had the bed at low level, next doors bed would be above it and every ‘cabin’ includes toilet, shower, tv and desk with controls for everything including the mood lighting right by the bed. I’ve noticed Yotel before at Gatwick but being that it was landside and the Travelodge is way cheaper it never quite seemed to work. Schiphol is different, its basically right in the departure lounge so given a last minute delay as I was or a long transfer you can check-in for a shower, use the free WiFi, watch some tv and have a snooze all within 5mins of the departure gate. Its not cheap at €35 for 4 hours (only £23 in old money I suppose!) but a bit of peace, quiet and comfort compared with a bench seat surrounded by screaming kids, priceless

No comments: